Jalapeño Popper Soup
A spicy, creamy and crunchy soup reminiscent of your favorite appetizer!
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
- Place jalapeños on grill and roast for 10 minutes or until skin is charred. Rotate frequently.
- Place jalapeños in a glass bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let rest for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium pot over medium heat, melt butter. Add onion, garlic, carrot and celery and sauté for 7 minutes or until tender.
- Deglaze pan with wine. Transfer contents to blender, add 1 cup chicken broth.
- Remove skin and seeds from jalapeños. Place 2 jalapeños in the blender and blend until smooth. Return to pot.
- Dice remaining jalapeños and add to pot with remaining stock. Bring to a boil.
- Whisk corn starch and water until smooth. Add to boiling soup, stir until thickened.
- Add cream cheese, simmer over medium heat until cheese is melted. Add cheddar cheese and stir until melted. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve with French fried onions and additional jalapeño slices if desired.
Recipe Courtesy of Chef Alyssa, ALDI Test Kitchen