Sweet Potato Au Gratin
- Preheat oven to 400°. Coat an 11x13-inch casserole dish with 1 tablespoon butter.
- In a saucepan over high heat, melt the remaining ½ cup butter. Stir in the flour and cook for 1 minute.
- Slowly whisk in the heavy cream and milk. Stir in the Italian seasoning, brown sugar, salt, pepper, Swiss and Provolone cheeses. Cook for 4 minutes until sauce thickens and cheese melts.
- To assemble: Place a single layer of sweet potatoes at the bottom of the casserole dish. Pour about 1¼ cups sauce on top, spreading the sauce out with a spatula to evenly cover the potatoes. Top with a single layer of Yukon Gold potatoes. Continue layering with sauce and remaining potatoes to fill casserole dish.
- Bake covered for 30 minutes at 400°. Remove cover, bake at 425° for 25-30 minutes until fork tender. If necessary, cover with foil for the last 10 minutes to prevent overbrowning.
- Let cool for 15 minutes before serving.
Recipe courtesy of Chef Michelle,
ALDI Test Kitchen