Beyond-Compare Brussels Sprouts
This accompaniment combines the popular holiday flavors of corn, stuffing and Brussels sprouts in one satisfying dish.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Coat a square baking dish with cooking spray. Prepare cornbread batter according to package instructions. Stir thawed corn into batter. Bake for 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool.
- Cook bacon until crisp. Reserve the bacon drippings. Crumble bacon once cool.
- Place Brussels sprouts on a baking sheet and toss with bacon drippings, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Roast for 15-20 minutes.
- Break cornbread into bite-sized pieces and place on a baking sheet. Bake for 12-15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until golden brown and crispy.
- Meanwhile, add onion to pan and cook over medium-high heat until caramelized.
- Just before serving, toss Brussels sprouts with ¾ of the crumbled bacon, caramelized onions and cornbread crumbs. If desired, use chicken stock to moisten mixture. Pour into a serving bowl and garnish with remaining crumbled bacon.
Recipe Courtesy of Chef Kates,
ALDI Test Kitchen
Carlini Cooking Spray
8 ½ ounces Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix
1 cup Season's Choice Super Sweet Corn, thawed
8 slices Appleton Farms Premium Sliced Bacon
3 – 3 ½ pounds Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved
Stonemill Essentials Iodized Salt, to taste
Stonemill Essentials Ground Black Pepper, to taste
½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
½ cup finely chopped onion
¼ cup Chef's Cupboard Chicken Culinary Stock (optional)*
*These are Seasonal items that are only in stores for a limited time and may no longer be available.