Christmas Eve Salad
A traditional Mexican dish served on Christmas Eve.
- Layer the beets and grapefruit in an alternating single layer on a serving platter. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- In a small bowl, combine the sour cream, reserved beet juice, 1 tablespoon agave nectar and 1 tablespoon lime juice. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Drizzle over the layered beets.
- In a small bowl, combine the remaining agave nectar and remaining lime juice. Stir.
- In a medium bowl, combine the apple, cilantro, pomegranate seeds and lime juice mixture. Toss until well combined. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Place the apple mixture in a line down the layered beets.
- Serve with a bowl of spring mix for a complete salad.
TIP: Fresh beets may be substituted if available. Preheat oven to 425°. Wrap 2 whole beets in foil and roast for 40-50 minutes until fork tender. Use a paper towel to remove the skin and slice into ¼-inch rounds.
Recipe Courtesy of Chef Michelle, ALDI Test Kitchen