Classic Sugar Cookies
Classic Sugar Cookies are the ultimate sweet treat for those who love a sugary and festive dessert for the holidays.
To start, preheat your oven to 400 °F. Lightly grease several cookie sheets to prevent sticking.
Next, in a medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda and salt.
In a large bowl, use a hand mixer to blend together the softened butter, granulated sugar, eggs and vanilla until light and fluffy. Gradually add the sifted dry ingredients to the wet mixture, alternating with milk. Blend these ingredients until they’re well combined.
Refrigerate the cookie dough overnight to improve the flavor and texture of the cookie. Baking cold cookie dough makes it expand more slowly when baked, allowing the cookie to be thicker and fluffier.
Next, divide the chilled dough into thirds. Work one-third at a time, keeping the rest of the dough refrigerated. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough to about 1/2-inch thickness.
Flour cookie cutters before pressing them into the dough to create your desired shapes. Arrange the cut-out cookies on the prepared cookie sheets, leaving about 1/2-inch space between them.
Bake in the preheated oven for 8–10 minutes, or until the edges are lightly golden. When done, transfer the cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.
In a separate bowl, use the hand mixer to cream together the softened cream cheese, butter and vanilla until smooth. Gradually add the powdered sugar, mixing well, until the frosting is smooth and creamy.
Once the cookies are cooled, generously frost them with the cream cheese frosting and sprinkles.
These classic sugar cookies are perfect for special occasions, holidays or anytime you crave a delightful and homemade treat. Leave these tasty cookies out for Santa or enjoy them all to yourself!
- Preheat oven to 400°. Lightly grease several cookie sheets.
- Sift together flour, baking soda and salt.
- In a large bowl, blend together butter, sugar, eggs and vanilla with a hand mixer until light and fluffy. Add flour mixture, alternating with milk, blend well. Refrigerate mixture overnight.
- Cut dough into thirds and work with only 1/3 at a time, keeping the rest refrigerated.
- Roll out dough on a lightly floured surface to about 1/2-inch thick. Flour cookie cutters before pressing shapes into dough.
- Arrange cookies on prepared cookie sheets, about 1/2-inch apart, and bake for 8-10 minutes.
- For frosting, cream together cream cheese, butter and vanilla with hand mixer until smooth. Add powdered sugar and mix well to incorporate.
- Frost cookies once cooled, and decorate as desired.
Recipe Courtesy of Chef Kates, ALDI Test Kitchen