Chicken Pot Pie with Herb Biscuits
Sink into the warm comfort of a homemade Chicken Pot Pie with Herb Biscuits. This classic dish brings together tender diced chicken, hearty vegetables and a delightful blend of herbs, all crowned with golden herb biscuits that will have you savoring every single bite.
Begin by preheating your oven to 425°. For the biscuits, mix the baking blend with thyme and rosemary in a medium bowl. Incorporate the vegetable shortening until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add the almond milk, mix and then let it chill briefly in the refrigerator.
While the biscuit dough cools, turn your attention to the star ingredient – the chicken. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, salt and pepper. Dice the chicken breasts and gently coat each chicken piece in this flavorful blend.
Now, in a large pan over medium heat, drizzle olive oil, setting the stage for sautéing the chicken to perfection.
Next, create the base. Blend potato puree with thyme, rosemary and almond milk in the pan. As it gently simmers to a thicker consistency, the chicken and vegetables will bask in its creamy texture.
Let the flavors meld, then fold in frozen sweet peas. The peas offer a pop of color and a touch of sweetness that harmonizes the dish.
Returning to the biscuits: On a floured canvas, gently press the rested dough to an even thickness. With a cookie cutter, fashion six perfect biscuits. Crown each ramekin with a biscuit and bake until they don a golden hue.
Serve and enjoy the rich flavors of the chicken, the freshness of the vegetables and the aromatic herbs, all complemented by the crunchy biscuit crust.
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- In a medium pot, over medium-high heat, boil the potatoes until tender. Remove from heat, drain water. Place in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. Reserve.
- In a medium bowl, combine baking mix, 1 tablespoon thyme and 1 teaspoon rosemary. Using a pastry cutter, cut in the vegetable shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Slowly pour in 3/4 cup almond milk, mix until well incorporated, refrigerate. Dough will be wet and sticky.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, salt and pepper. Coat chicken in seasoned flour.
- In a large pan over medium heat, heat the olive oil. Slowly add chicken, sauté until almost cooked through, about 8-10 minutes. Add the carrots and celery, sauté an additional 5 minutes. Add the wine, chicken broth, potato puree, remaining 1 tablespoon thyme, 2 teaspoons rosemary and 3/4 cup almond milk. Reduce heat, let simmer until thickened, 7-10 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in frozen peas, divide mixture evenly between six 6-ounce ramekins.
- Remove reserved biscuit dough from bowl. On a floured surface, pat the dough to an even thickness. Using a 3-inch cookie cutter, cut the 6 biscuits. Place each biscuit on top of each ramekin. Bake until biscuits are golden brown, approximately 20 minutes.
Recipe Courtesy of ALDI Test Kitchen