1 hour, 20 minutes
Chunky Vegetable Minestrone
Get ready to savor the comforting flavors of our Chunky Vegetable Minestrone Soup! This soul-warming creation is packed with a delightful medley of vegetables, tender tortellini and aromatic herbs, making it the perfect hearty dish to satisfy your cravings.
To begin, heat extra virgin olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. As the oil warms, the kitchen fills with the enticing aroma of garlic, adding a fragrant touch to your soup's base. Then add minced garlic, chopped yellow onions, a pinch of salt and sauté until they turn translucent, releasing their natural sweetness.
Next, you’ll introduce a colorful array of vegetables into the pot. Chopped celery, carrots, red bell peppers, zucchini and sweet potatoes join the mix, adding both texture and a spectrum of vibrant flavors. To enhance the flavor further, sprinkle in basil leaves and oregano leaves, infusing the soup with their aromatic notes.
The star of this minestrone is the robust flavor provided by crushed tomatoes. Pour this velvety tomato goodness into the pot, followed by chicken broth, which enriches the soup with savory depth. However, for a vegetarian-friendly option, a simple substitution of water or vegetable broth can easily transform this soup into a delightful vegetarian version.
As the soup gently simmers, the vegetables gradually soften and release their natural flavors. After about 20 minutes, when the sweet potatoes are tender and easily pierced with a knife, it's time to add the next layer of deliciousness. Add spinach and ricotta tortellini, filling the soup with pockets of chewy, cheesy goodness. Northern beans, drained and rinsed, also join the party, offering a delightful creaminess and additional texture.
The final touch of green comes from organic baby spinach, adding freshness and vibrant color to the soup. Allow it to wilt gently in the warm broth, ensuring that each spoonful is brimming with wholesome goodness. Seasoned with salt and ground black pepper to taste, this soup achieves a harmonious balance of flavors.
To serve our Chunky Vegetable Minestrone Soup, we recommend topping each bowl with freshly grated Parmesan, adding a rich and nutty profile that beautifully complements the vegetables. A sprinkle of freshly ground black pepper adds a subtle kick, enhancing the overall taste experience.
This soup is not only a comforting and satisfying meal but also a versatile one. It can be enjoyed on its own as a wholesome lunch or dinner, or paired with a side salad or crusty bread for a more substantial meal.
- In a large pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add garlic, onion and salt. Cook until fragrant and translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add celery, carrots, bell pepper, zucchini, sweet potato, basil and oregano. Continue to cook for another 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the crushed tomatoes and chicken broth, bring mixture to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for another 20 minutes or until sweet potatoes can be easily pierced with the tip of a knife.
- Stir in the tortellini and beans, simmer for 15 minutes or until pasta is al dente. Vegetables should be tender, not mushy.
- Remove from heat and stir in spinach to wilt. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve soup topped with freshly grated Parmesan and black pepper.
TIP: Though the recipe calls for chicken broth, it can easily be made vegetarian by using water or vegetable broth instead.
Recipe and Photo Courtesy of Alicia Sokol, Weekly Greens
Recipes that are Better For You
These recipes are healthier options, crafted with ingredients that are naturally lower in sodium, fat or sugar than traditional recipes.