Cauliflower Spinach Mac & Cheese
Looking for a healthier twist on the classic mac & cheese recipe? Try this delicious cauliflower spinach mac & cheese, which swaps out traditional pasta for nutrient-rich cauliflower and spinach. Not only is this recipe tasty, but it's also a great way to get your daily dose of veggies.
To get started, sauté diced onion and celery in a large stockpot with melted butter until soft, then season with salt and pepper. Next, add chopped cauliflower and chicken broth and simmer until the cauliflower is soft. Then, transfer the mixture to a blender and blend until smooth before returning to the pot.
While the cauliflower mixture is simmering, cook the macaroni according to package directions. Once cooked, drain the macaroni and stir it into the cauliflower sauce until it's thoroughly coated. Add the spinach to the pot and stir to combine.
Once everything is combined, transfer the mixture to a greased 13x9-inch pan. Melt the remaining butter and mix it with crushed cheese crackers before sprinkling the mixture on top of the macaroni.
Bake the cauliflower spinach mac & cheese in the preheated oven for 15 minutes or until the cheese crackers are golden brown and the dish is heated through.
This recipe is a great option for busy weeknights when you need a quick and easy meal. It's also a great way to use up any leftover cauliflower you might have on hand. So why not give this delicious and nutritious recipe a try today?
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a large stockpot, melt 2 tablespoons butter. Add onion and celery and sauté for 3-5 minutes or until soft. Stir in salt and pepper.
- Add cauliflower and chicken broth. Simmer for 10 minutes or until cauliflower is soft.
- Transfer to a blender and blend until smooth. Return mixture to pot.
- Melt cheese in microwave for 2 minutes, in 30 second intervals, stirring. Add to pot with cauliflower, stir and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Cook macaroni according to package directions. Drain and stir into sauce until thoroughly coated. Add spinach, stir to combine.
- Transfer to a greased 13x9-inch pan.
- Melt remaining butter and add to crushed crackers. Sprinkle on top of macaroni and bake for 15 minutes.
Recipe Courtesy of Chef Alyssa, ALDI Test Kitchen