4 hours, 10 minutes
Carnitas Burrito Bowl
Get cozy with the ALDI Test Kitchen’s carnitas burrito bowl, a bowl filled to the brim with tender and seasoned pork, fragrant basmati rice infused with cilantro and lime, a colorful medley of vegetables and a creamy cilantro lime sour cream. This recipe brings together the vibrant flavors of Mexican cuisine in a convenient and satisfying bowl.
To kick off, start by placing the carnitas seasoned pork shoulder roast in a slow cooker and let it cook on high for 4 hours until it reaches a fork-tender consistency. The slow cooking process ensures that the pork is succulent and packed with flavor.
While the pork is cooking, prepare the basmati rice according to the package instructions. Once cooked, stir in a cup of chopped cilantro and the juice of a lime, infusing the rice with fresh and zesty aromas that will elevate every bite.
Next, take a moment to prepare the delightful cilantro lime sour cream. In a small bowl, combine a cup of light sour cream with 3/4 cup of chopped cilantro and the juice of another lime. Stir everything together, creating a creamy and tangy sauce that will complement the other components of the burrito bowl.
In a medium sauté pan, heat olive oil over medium-high heat and add the sliced red bell pepper and red onion. Sauté them for around 10 minutes until they become soft, and the onions turn translucent. This step adds a colorful and savory touch to the bowl, enhancing the overall flavor profile.
Now it's time to assemble the carnitas burrito bowl. Start by placing a generous cup of chopped romaine lettuce in a bowl as the base. Then, layer it with black beans that have been drained, rinsed and warmed for a satisfying burst of protein and fiber. Add a scoop of the vibrant mango pico de gallo for a burst of sweet and tangy flavors.
The sautéed pepper and onion mixture is next, providing a savory component to balance the other flavors in the bowl. Top it off with half a cup of the flavorful carnitas, adding a delicious and tender protein element. Finally, sprinkle the bowl with chopped avocados for a creamy and buttery touch.
To bring everything together, drizzle the cilantro lime sour cream over the bowl, infusing it with a creamy and tangy goodness. Garnish the bowl with the remaining cilantro, adding a fresh and herbaceous note to the dish. Give everything a toss to ensure that the flavors are well-distributed and dig in!
The carnitas burrito bowl is not only a delectable meal but also a versatile one. It can be enjoyed for a hearty lunch, a satisfying dinner or even as a crowd-pleasing option for gatherings and parties. Embrace the flavors of Mexico with this vibrant and flavorful bowl that promises to tantalize your taste buds and leave you craving for more.
- Cut pork loin into three pieces and place in a slow cooker.
- Add taco seasoning, red onion, garlic, salsa, chicken broth and jalapeno slices. Cook on low for 8 hours (or 4 hours on high).
- Shred pork and return to slow cooker. Lower setting to warm until ready to serve.
- Meanwhile, cook rice according to package instruction. Once rice is done, stir in 1 cup cilantro and juice of 1 lime. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine sour cream, 3/4 cup cilantro and juice of 1 lime. Stir to combine and set aside.
- In a medium sauté pan, heat olive oil on medium-high heat. Add peppers and onions, cook for 10 minutes or until soft and onions are translucent. Set aside.
- To assemble: Place 1 cup lettuce in a bowl. Add black beans, pico de gallo, pepper and onion mixture and 1/2 cup carnitas. Top with avocado, drizzle cilantro lime sour cream and garnish with remaining cilantro. Toss together and enjoy!
Recipe Courtesy of Chef Audrey, ALDI Test Kitchen