Looking for a healthy and delicious recipe that represents the beginning of the fall harvest season? Try this Vegetarian Ratatouille recipe and be amazed. Ratatouille is a popular late summer and early fall dish that uses seasonal vegetables for a tasty and healthy dish.
Starting with a large skillet, sauté onions in olive oil for five minutes, caramelizing them. They will be added later for sweetness in the dish. Next, add in garlic and reduce the heat to low.
In another large skillet, sauté zucchini until brown, make sure to not cook the zucchini for too long or else the zucchini will be too soggy.
Next, we’re going to add the browned zucchini to the skillet with onions and garlic. Toss the vegetables evenly, getting them evenly coated with olive oil adding a nice char, enhancing the flavor of the vegetables.
In the now empty skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil and sauté yellow squash until brown. We’re now going to add the browned yellow squash to the pan with onions, garlic and zucchini.
Repeat this process for all the vegetables except the tomatoes, those will be added later. When all vegetables are done and in the same skillet increase heat to high. Add spices and tomato juice and stir. The flavors of the vegetables with the spices and tomato sauce come together as a melding of savory flavors.
Next, bring the skillet to a boil and cook uncovered on low heat for 20 minutes. For the finishing touches, add tomatoes and cook for the last 10 minutes. Tomatoes add that sweetness and juiciness to the dish.
Vegetarian Ratatouille is a delicious and healthy dish to bring out as a side dish or main course. The vegetables are rich in flavor and have a nice creamy texture will leave your guests asking for seconds.
- In one large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil and sauté onions, 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and reduce heat to low.
- In another large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil and sauté zucchini until brown.
- Add browned zucchini to skillet with onions and garlic, toss.
- In the now empty skillet, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil and sauté yellow squash until brown.
- Add browned yellow squash to pan with onions, garlic and zucchini.
- Repeat process with all remaining vegetables, except tomatoes.
- When all vegetables are done and in the same skillet increase heat to high.
- Add spices and tomato juice and stir. Bring to slight boil.
- Cook uncovered on low for 20 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and cook 10 minutes.
- Stir and serve.
Recipe courtesy of Chef Alyssa,
ALDI Test Kitchen
Calories 150 Total Fat 11g Sodium 55mg Total Carbohydrate 14g Fiber 4g Sugars 7g Protein 3g
Recipes that are Better For You
These recipes are healthier options, crafted with ingredients that are naturally lower in sodium, fat or sugar than traditional recipes.