Fried Ice Cream with Pineapple Caramel
Corn flake and coconut coated ice cream served with pineapple caramel.
- Scoop the ice cream into 10 ½ cup scoops. Place on a parchment-lined pan. Freeze for 30 minutes.
- Heat a grill pan over medium-high heat. Sear the pineapple slices on each side until caramelized. Reserve.
- In a small saucepan, heat the sugar and pineapple juice over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until the sugar melts, about 5 minutes.
- Add butter, stir until melted. Whisk in the half & half, simmer for 3 minutes. Reserve.
- In a medium bowl, combine the corn flakes, coconut flakes, lime zest and salt. Divide among two bowls, reserving one bowl.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs. Coat the ice cream balls with the egg, then coat with corn flake mixture. Discard remaining corn flake mixture and refrigerate egg. Freeze balls for 30 minutes.
- Freeze for 30 minutes. Remove balls from freezer. Coat the balls with the remaining whisked egg, then coat with remaining corn flake mixture. Freeze for 30 minutes.
- In a medium saucepan, heat the oil over medium-high heat to 370°. Fry balls one at a time until golden brown, remove from oil and drain on a paper towel. Serve each ice cream ball on top of a pineapple slice and drizzle with reserved caramel.
TIP: For a gluten free option, replace corn flakes with 5 cups crisp rice cereal. This recipe can be served without the pineapple and with your favorite caramel sauce.
Recipe courtesy of Chef Michelle, ALDI Test Kitchen