Maple Glazed Donut Ice Cream Sandwich
- For the donuts: In a small bowl, combine the water and dry yeast. Allow to sit for 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine the milk and shortening. Microwave for 3 minutes. Remove and stir until the shortening melts.
- In a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, combine the milk and yeast mixtures at medium speed. Add the egg and sugars.
- In a medium bowl, combine 4 cups flour, salt, cloves, nutmeg and cinnamon. Slowly add the flour mixture to the stand mixer until incorporated. Switch to the dough hook attachment and knead the dough for 5 minutes at medium speed until the dough pulls away from the sides.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and shape into a ball, using 2 tablespoons of flour. Coat a large bowl with cooking spray and place the dough inside. Wrap with plastic, and place in a warm spot for 1 1/2 hours to rise.
- Punch the dough down, reshape into a ball onto a well-floured surface. Using a rolling pin, roll to a 1/2-inch thickness. Using a 2-inch biscuit cutter, cut 28 rounds. Place on a floured surface. If desired, cut and remove the center of each donut round using a 1/2-inch biscuit cutter. Cover and allow to rise for 30 minutes.
- For the ice cream center: Slice the ice cream into 1/4-inch strips. Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Using a 2-inch biscuit cutter, cut 28 rounds. Freeze.
- To fry the donuts: In a large saucepan, heat the 6 cups of oil to 320° over medium heat. Drop the donuts into the oil, flip once the bottom is light to golden brown. Remove once they are evenly fried on both sides. Place on a cooling rack.
- For the glaze: In a small saucepan, heat the butter and maple syrup. Add the powdered sugar, whisk until smooth.
- Dip one side of each donut into the glaze. Freeze for 10 minutes.
- Once the glaze has solidified, slice each donut in half horizontally with a serrated knife. Fill with ice cream rounds and serve or freeze for future use. Remove from freezer 10-15 minutes prior to serving.
Recipe Courtesy of Chef Michelle, ALDI Test Kitchen