Cajun Chicken Pot Pie
A taste of the French Quarter wrapped in a golden brown crust.
- Preheat oven to 400˚.
- For the Cajun seasoning: In a small bowl, mix spices until thoroughly combined.
- Thoroughly season chicken breasts with Cajun seasoning. Place chicken and sausage on a baking sheet. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until fully cooked. Remove from oven, allow to cool. Dice chicken, slice sausage; reserve.
- In a large sauté pan, melt butter. Add onions, sauté until translucent. Add garlic, celery and peppers. Sauté until vegetables are tender. Season with 3 tablespoons of Cajun seasoning.
- Slowly sprinkle flour over onion mixture, stirring constantly until flour is fully incorporated. Cook flour mixture until it turns a light brown and it releases a nutty aroma. Whisk chicken broth and milk into flour mixture. Simmer until thickened, about 2-3 minutes.
- Once filling has thickened, add potatoes and carrots, continue cooking for 5 minutes. Stir in green beans, hot sauce, chicken and sausage. Remove from heat.
- Place one unrolled pie crust in a pie plate. Add filling, top with remaining unrolled crust. Crimp the edges and cut a vent in the top of the crust. Brush top with beaten egg and bake in oven for 30-45 minutes or until crust is golden brown.
- Remove pie from oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes before serving.
TIP: The leftover Cajun seasoning can be stored in an airtight container for up to 2 years.
Recipe Courtesy of Chef Scott, ALDI Test Kitchen