Cherry, Apricot & Jalapeño Barbecue Glazed Roasted Turkey
A sweet barbecue glazed turkey with a little zing and spice to warm your heart this holiday.
- In a large pot, bring 6 quarts water, 3 tablespoons salt, peppercorns, ½ cup brown sugar, agave nectar, nutmeg and ginger to a boil.
- Remove from heat, add 2 quarts ice cold water.
- Place the turkey in a turkey size oven roasting bag. Place the bag in a pot large enough to hold the turkey. Pour the brine into the bag. Seal the bag, refrigerate overnight.
- For the barbecue glaze: Preheat oven to broil. Place the jalapeños on a baking sheet. Broil for 5 minutes, turn and broil 5 minutes or until skin is charred. Remove from oven. Allow to cool. Remove seeds and skin with a paper towel. Reserve.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the remaining water, cherries and apricots. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 1 minute. Drain and reserve 1 ½ cups of the cooking liquid. Drain cherries and apricots.
- In a blender, combine the reserved cooking liquid, cherries, apricots, remaining ½ teaspoon salt, remaining ½ cup brown sugar, vinegar, garlic powder, onion powder and paprika. Purée until smooth. Pour back into the saucepan.
- Add the butter, stir until melted. Simmer for 20 minutes, stirring frequently. Reserve 2 cups of sauce for basting the turkey. Refrigerate the remaining 2 cups to serve with the roasted turkey.
- For the turkey: Preheat oven to 350°, remove the turkey from the brine and place it into a roasting pan. Dispose of brining liquid. Roast turkey 20 minutes per pound.
- During the final 40 minutes of roasting time, brush 1 cup of the reserved barbecue glaze over the turkey. Bake for 10 minutes. Brush with remaining 1 cup barbecue glaze and finish baking until it reaches an internal temperature of 165°.
Recipe Courtesy of Chef Michelle, ALDI Test Kitchen