Chicken and Pumpkin Soup
Thanksgiving in a bowl.
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- In a small bowl, combine black pepper, salt, 2 teaspoons sage, Italian seasoning, garlic powder and onion powder.
- In a medium bowl, combine 2 tablespoons of the spice mixture with 2 tablespoons of the vegetable oil. Add onions, carrots and celery. Stir to coat and spread in the bottom of a roasting pan.
- Rub the chicken breasts with the remaining vegetable oil and spice mixture. Place the chicken breasts on top of vegetables. Pour 2 cups chicken broth on bottom of pan.
- Place roasting pan in oven and cook 40 minutes, or until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees.
- Remove chicken breasts from oven, place on a cutting board and lightly tent with aluminum foil. Let rest for 20 minutes. Strain vegetables from pan juices, reserve both.
- In a small pot, melt butter. Whisking constantly, add flour and cook until golden brown, 2-3 minutes.
- Whisk in remaining broth and pan juices. Bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer for 15 minutes, whisking occasionally.
- Add pumpkin and 2 teaspoons sage, simmer for 5 minutes.
- Dice chicken and add to pot along with vegetables, heat for 10 minutes.
Recipe courtesy of Chef Jonathan,
ALDI Test Kitchen
1 teaspoon Stonemill Essentials Ground Black Pepper
½ teaspoon Stonemill Essentials Iodized Salt
4 teaspoons minced fresh sage, divided
2 teaspoons Stonemill Essentials Italian Seasoning
1 teaspoon Stonemill Essentials Garlic Powder
1 teaspoon Stonemill Essentials Onion Powder
4 tablespoons Carlini Vegetable Oil, divided
3 medium onions, diced
4 carrots, peeled, halved and sliced on a bias ¼-inch thick
2 ribs celery, sliced on a bias ¼-inch thick
2 pounds Kirkwood Fresh Chicken Breasts
6 cups Chef's Cupboard Chicken Broth, divided
2 tablespoons Countryside Creamery Unsalted Butter
¼ cup flour Baker's Corner All Purpose Flour
¾ cup Baker's Corner 100% Pure Canned Pumpkin*
*These are Seasonal items that are only in stores for a limited time and may no longer be available.
1 hour, 10 minutes
1 hour, 30 minutes