Spicy Braised Chicken Thighs
Warm up with this nutritious and flavorful one-pot meal.
- In a large pot, heat the vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Season the chicken thighs to taste with salt and pepper. Cook chicken about 5 minutes per side or until brown and caramelized. Remove chicken from pot and set aside.
- Add onion, garlic, cumin, paprika, ginger and crushed red pepper. Cook for 1-2 minutes until fragrant, stirring constantly. Add flour and cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring. Add chicken broth and diced tomatoes. Whisk to dissolve flour mixture and scrape up the brown bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Add potatoes, carrots, squash and beans. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Return chicken thighs to pot. Bring mixture to a boil and reduce heat to a simmer. Cover and cook for 30 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender and chicken is cooked through.
- Top with chopped parsley or cilantro. Dollop each serving with yogurt, if desired.
- Tip: This dish is even more delicious if chilled overnight and reheated. Cook it on the weekend and enjoy during the week.
Recipe courtesy of Chef Kates,
ALDI Test Kitchen
3 tablespoons Carlini Vegetable Oil
6 Kirkwood Chicken Thighs (about 3 pounds)
Stonemill Essentials Iodized Salt, to taste
Stonemill Essentials Ground Black Pepper, to taste
1 medium onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons Stonemill Essentials Ground Cumin
1 tablespoon Stonemill Essentials Paprika
1 tablespoon ground ginger
½ teaspoon Stonemill Essentials Crushed Red Pepper
¼ cup Baker's Corner All Purpose Flour
32 ounces Chef's Cupboard Chicken Broth
14.5 ounces Happy Harvest Diced Tomatoes
1 ½ pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, diced
5 carrots, peeled and sliced into 1-inch thick rounds
1 pound butternut squash, peeled and diced
15.5 ounces Dakota's Pride Kidney Beans, drained
½ cup finely chopped fresh parsley or cilantro
1 cup Fit & Active Plain Nonfat Yogurt (optional)
1 hour, 5 minutes