3 hours, 5 minutes
3 hours, 15 minutes
Enjoy this glazed ham at your next holiday meal or family dinner. This recipe combines savory ham and the sweetness of brown sugar to create a melting pot of flavors.
To begin, preheat your oven to a gentle 300°. This low and slow cooking method will ensure that the ham remains juicy and tender. Place the ham in a roasting pan, ensuring it sits on a rack to allow for even heat distribution.
In a small bowl, create a flavorful glaze by combining Dijon mustard, organic wildflower honey, ground nutmeg and ground cloves. These ingredients come together to form a harmonious blend of tanginess, sweetness and warm spices that will enhance the natural flavors of the ham.
Spread the mustard mixture evenly over the surface of the ham, ensuring that every inch is covered with this luscious glaze. Next, press a generous amount of brown sugar onto the mustard glaze, creating a sweet and caramelized crust that will add a delightful texture and depth of flavor.
To add moisture and intensify the glaze, use a spray bottle to mist the ham with orange juice from concentrate. This step helps the brown sugar adhere to the ham and creates a moist environment for the flavors to meld together.
Place the prepared ham in the preheated oven, leaving it uncovered to allow the glaze to caramelize and the flavors to develop. Let the ham bake for approximately 3 hours, basting it occasionally with the pan drippings.
Once the ham is cooked to perfection, remove it from the oven and let it rest briefly. Strain the pan drippings, reserving 1½ cups for the delicious sauce that will accompany the ham.
In a small saucepan, bring the reserved ham drippings to a boil. Add brown sugar, ground nutmeg and ground cloves to infuse the sauce with even more flavor. Allow the sauce to simmer over medium heat until it thickens to your desired consistency. This rich and savory sauce will perfectly complement the sweetness of the glazed ham, adding an extra layer of indulgence to each bite.
Pour the sauce over the ham or serve it on the side, allowing your guests to drizzle it over their individual portions. The combination of the tender ham and the sweet and savory glaze gives this ham an irresistible flavor profile.
- For the ham: Preheat oven to 300°.
- Place ham in a roasting pan on a rack.
- In a small bowl, combine mustard, honey, nutmeg and cloves.
- Spread mustard mixture evenly over the surface of the ham. Press the brown sugar evenly over the mustard, ensuring it adheres to the ham.
- Pour orange juice into a spray bottle and mist the ham to moisten the brown sugar.
- Place ham in oven and bake uncovered for 3 hours.
- Once ham is cooked, strain ham drippings, reserving 1½ cups.
- For the sauce: In a small saucepan, bring the ham drippings to a boil. Add brown sugar and spices. Continue to cook over medium heat until sauce has thickened. Remove from heat and serve over ham.
Recipe and Photo Courtesy of Food52