Gluten Free Horchata Cake
Horchata-flavored cake topped with whipped cream.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Coat two 9-inch round pans with cooking spray.
- In a blender, process uncooked rice until thoroughly pulverized. Add the milk, blend for 1 minute until smooth. Refrigerate overnight.
- In a large bowl, combine the ground almonds, baking mix, baking powder, sugar, salt, water, vegetable oil, eggs and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla. Whisk for 2 minutes. Divide batter among prepared pans.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Allow the cakes to cool in the pan.
- Re-blend the reserved milk mixture. Strain through a fine sieve into a bowl, discard the rice. Whisk in the cinnamon and agave nectar, reserve.
- In a medium bowl, beat the heavy cream to stiff peaks. Whisk in remaining 1/8 teaspoon vanilla and powdered sugar.
- To assemble the cake: Poke holes all over top of each cake with a toothpick. Slowly drizzle half of the horchata sauce over each cake, pausing to allow mixture to soak into cake. Let cake sit for at least 10 minutes.
- Drain remaining horchata sauce, reserve. Place a plate (with a rim, to catch any liquid) on top of one cake and flip to invert cake onto plate. Top with half the whipped cream. Top with the remaining cake by inverting it onto a plate and placing it on top of the whipped cream. Top with remaining whipped cream. Garnish with the toasted almonds and pour the remaining horchata sauce around the base of the cake or discard.
Recipe Courtesy of Chef Michelle, ALDI Test Kitchen